Saturday, April 21, 2012

L.A. Weather

So this entire week has been very hot, and I've actually been very happy with it!
It got up to 90 degrees Farenheit (around 30 degrees celsius) and I was ecstatic to bring out my summer clothes.
30 degrees was about as hot as it ever got throughout the entire year in Vancouver, so it was a really great thing for me to experience this kind of wonderful weather even before summer started!
The weather in Vancouver is quite contrary from the weather in L.A.
I was surprised that not only was it much more sunny and hot, there was definitely a difference in the sun too! The sun in Vancouver is actually not very hot. The best way to describe the sun is pleasantly warm. However, the best way to describe the weather here in L.A. is scorching. I had no idea that there was this big of a difference in simply the sun in two different places on the globe.
In L.A., it is not so much the temperature that is high, it is the sun that burns.
Now I learned to always wear sunscreen in L.A. the hard way. You see, I was at school the other day, and during lunch, my friends and I happened to be out on the field where there was absolutely no shade. It was fairly hot, but I didn't think that it would effect me that much in a very noticable way. But of course, I was 100% wrong. By the time I got home, my cheeks and the bridge of my nose were bright pink, and were really itchy. I had been sunburnt for the first time in my life.
You may think, how can you go 12 (going on 13!) years of your life without being sunburned a single time? There are actually a number of reasons.
1. My mother coated me with sunscreen when I was a little kid
2. My mother always made sure I wore a hat when it was sunny out
3. In Vancouver, you can go the entire summer without a single drop of sunscreen and I guaruntee you won't be sunburnt (maybe a little tan, but definitely not sunburnt)
So you see, I am having somewhat of a hard time adjusting to the weather in L.A., which is almost the exact opposite of the weather in Vancouver.
Hopefully I'll remember to slather on sunscreen every day before I am a victim to another case of pink and peeling skin...

No comments:

Post a Comment