Saturday, June 18, 2011

Violence Erupts In Vancouver As Riot Takes Place After The Loss In Game 7 Of The Stanley Cup Finals

Hi Everyone!
Alright, so I felt the need to post this...
I'm pretty sure that a lot of you know what happened 2 nights ago. Yep, a riot. After the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley cup to Boston... yet again. A riot also occurred in Vancouver after the same thing happened in 1994. I wasn't born then, but I've seen many videos on youtube. I'll give you a few links to videos of the riot from two days ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VzOUKODdZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhJuH0o7Y4
As you can see, these fans were infruiated by the loss. They were flipping cars, setting garbage and newspapers on fire, breaking windows of stores and stealing goods, etcetera.
It was horrifying to see because I live in Vancouver. Of course, the riot wasn't near my building, but still, it was just a few blocks away. I was up all night in front of the T.V. watching the riot continue through the night. There were around 100,000 people gathered on Georgia St. that were there watching the game on huge T.V.s that the mayor had provided so that the fans may watch the game in the streets. After the 1994 riot, Vancouver was sort of banned from fun stuff in the streets and large gatherings because we had obviously showed that we could not handle it.
But after the Olympics in our city last year, that sort of turned things around because the people in the streets were rather well behaved and were a good sport about things, and no police had to get involved in anything, fortunately. Because Vancouverites had been quite civil during the Olympics, I guess our Mayor trusted us with large gatherings again. But that was obviously a big mistake.
Many people were saying that it wasn't Vancouverites that were causing the problem, it was people from other cities that came to watch the game and caused mayhem afterwards. But honestly, I think it was just people everywhere that probably had a little bit too much alcohol, therefore causing them to...well... do what they did.
As a Vancouverite, I have to say I'm ashamed. I also want to make a point that those few people that chose to make that terrible decision does not represent our entire city. It was only a few people, who I'm sure regret what they did...
-sigh- I still cannot believe that our "good" reputation that took years to build up was torn down in just one night. It was NOT a good reason to riot. Many people were injured. Both Boston and Vancouver fans. The police had to step in in full uniform with shields and batons and everything, having to drive people away. Actually, the majority of the people were standing around taking pictures. There were only a few people that were actually turning over cars and setting fire to things. But either way, by standing there, it was kind of like cheering them on. Which makes them just as guilty.
-sigh- Well.... I just thought I'd post this. Alright then.
Goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. It’s scary and frightening how people can react when a team wins or loses a big game. It’s just sports! I hope every individual who caused all of that property damage is held civilly and criminally liable. The courts must send a message that violence can’t be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete