Sunday, June 5, 2011

Book Review #11 ~ What I Meant...

Okay, so I've decided that this book is worthy enough to post on my blog. It's a really good book, but it does have a little bit of mature content; it's a teen book.
ANYWAYS
The book is called 'What I Meant...' and the author is Marie Lamba.
So it's about this fifteen-year-old Indian/Caucasian girl named Sangeet who struggles to cling on to that last little big of patience she has left for her "evil" aunt that her family generously let move in with them when her husband died and she was in a financially hard situation. Her aunt hates Sangeet almost as much as Sangeet hates her. They try and get each other in some kind of trouble every chance they get. But her mom is an extremely nice person who believes EVERYONE deserves kindness, and her dad is very Indian and believes that family must always help family, no matter what. So Sangeet is NOT allowed to shoot dirty glares at her aunt, or express her anger to her aunt. However, her aunt is allowed to shoot dirty glares at Sangeet and scream and yell at her. I guess it's just a respect-your-elder thing...
So basically, Sangeet must put up with her evil aunt, no 'if's 'and's or 'but's. Sangeet knows that her aunt pretends to be all 'healthy-eater' in front of the family, but that she has chocolate pudding hidden behind all the tupperware at the very back of the fridge. She sneaks the food once in a while. Also, whenever the family gets a new pack of cookies or chocolate or sweets, it magically disappears overnight. Sangeet is well aware that her aunt is the thief. So now that we know the fact that her aunt is a thief, I'll tell you that Sangeet's datebook has been missing for about two weeks. Her datebook is the secret to all her straight As. It's pretty much an extreme organizer, that has every assignment, essay, and project's due date. It's not just a datebook. Her favourite uncle sends a new one every year from India with her name carved into the front cover.
So Sangeet happens to go sneaking into her aunt's room one day when she's out, and searches all the drawers. She finds her datebook, and all those missing cookies and chocolates.
So Sangeet is working on this project and she needs her mom's yearbook from some reason. She's looking through the drawers in the family room when she hears a creak on the floorboards and the beam of a flashlight. She dives behind the couch and sees her aunt open the drawer and.... I can't tell you, because that would be an absolute spoiler. Sorry...
So anyways, after what she saw her aunt do, she tries to get her caught, but to no avail.
Outside of home, her best-friend Gina was suddenly not speaking to her and hanging out with goth kids. Sangeet wasn't sure if her boyfriend was trustworthy. Her school life was falling apart without her datebook.
At home, her aunt was framing Sangeet for everything she herself had done. The only thing Sangeet has on her mind is to get her evil aunt out of the house before she destroyed her family.

To me, this book was amazing, and I loved thae fact that I felt the emotions that Sangeet was feeling. Many a time I wanted to tear apart her evil aunt with my own hands. I wanted to scream at her parents that it wasn't her fault, that it was all the aunt's fault, that Sangeet had been framed. The book gripped me, and my eyes were glued to the page. I finished the book in a single day, it was so good.
I recommend this book to everyone, honestly, even boys.
Okay, so I'll be back later on with Day 3 of my travel journal!
Byee

No comments:

Post a Comment