Saturday, June 11, 2011

Book Review #12 ~ Quaking

Hello!
So, like I promised, I'm back with another book review. This one is splendid, superb, awesome book. I wouldn't be writing a review on it unless it was a REALLY GREAT one. (I'm reading a lot of really good books now, aren't I...)
It's called 'Quaking' by Kathryn Erskine.
Okay, so the protagonist of this story is a fourteen-year-old goth girl named Matilda. But don't even think of calling her that. Her name is Matt.
Her and her late mother have been abused by her father for most of her childhood. Her father ended up killing her mother, and Matt ended up in an orphanage, going from one foster home to another.
She arrives at her latest foster home. Her foster parents are Quakers. (I think it's a religion. It's definitely not as common as others, but it definitely is a religion. You should look it up on the internet.) Quakers have this thing that makes them extremely nice. I mean at an EXTREME level. I guess it's a pretty good thing. This means that Matt's usual rude attitude has no affect (affect? effect? UGHH) on them. Unwillingly at first, Matt accompanies her foster father Sam to Quaker meetings. She also learns to cope with a new school where she likes most of her classes but fears a bully and her world civillization teacher. She is in constant fear of the bully which makes her extremely jumpy at school. To add onto her problems, violence erupts in town and peace-promoting churches and temples are attacked by locals angered by the antiwar sentiments that the Quakers have, which puts Sam in constant danger, as he goes to many, many meetings. This leads to a heavy climax. Matt is beginning to love her family, which is a rare thing for her. She fights even harder to save her family when Sam is attacked, in spite of her fears that always leave her quaking.
I found this a very touching book. It was a marvelous read with such intimate detail and I really couldn't pry my eyes off of the page. I love love loved it!!
This book does have a little bit of bad language, but otherwise, it's clean for everyone to read!
I hope you will find it great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment