Monday, June 13, 2011

Cancun-Travel Journal-DAY 4

Okay people, I'm back with more of my trip. Please let me know if you're getting bored....
Alright so I'll jump straight to it.
On day 4 of my trip, we went on a jungle tour thing. It really had nothing to do with jungles though. I think I liked the jungled tour the best, actually...
So we left the hotel at around 10:00 a.m., and took a public bus to the dock. There they had little speedboats waiting for us. They seated two people. My mom and my brother took one boat, my dad and me took the other. So there were around 5 boats in all; not that many. We had to learn signals and stuff so we would know to speed up or slow down and all that jazz. So we pretty much "followed the leader" through the entire boat ride. My dad was driving, and occasionally I would too. Let me tell you something. The ocean water there is the saltiest water I've EVER tasted. It literally burns your throat when you swallow it, not that I swallow on purpose or anything. So you all know that when you drive in a speedboat, there's ocean spray. Many people describe it as "It's refreshing." Well, IT'S NOT. It burns your eyes. The water is constantly splashing up into your face and getting into your eyes, and IT HURTS. The drive to the small reef where we snorkel is about 1 hour, so my dad and I were squinting into the spray throughout the whole drive. I got to drive a few times too, so that was fun... Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you that our engine died in the middle of the ocean and the other speedboats were all in front of us, therefore not seeing us suddenly stop in the middle of the ocean. They were just going on without us, which terrified me because I thought that we would be stuck out there forever. I started screaming for help at the top of my lungs, but my dad was just sitting there calmly and watching the boats drive off. I kept shrieking and screaming and waving my arms, but later my dad pulled me down and told me that they probably couldn't hear us over the sound of their own engines. I kept screaming though. I didn't understand why he wasn't. So after they were almost out of sight, one started to come back for us. I was so relieved when they came and simply started the engine again with a few tugs on the motor string thingy. We could've done that. Honestly? I felt a little bit stupid. So the other boats were just waiting far ahead as we speeded back toward them. We were stranded in the middle of the ocean for maybe 5 minutes. I know, I know, it sounds like a really short time and you might be thinking that I shouldn't have been spazzing out and screaming and stuff, but it was really scary.
So after that really long drive to... well... the middle of the ocean, flippers, snorkels, and life jackets were handed out and we were told to jump in the water. The water looked freezing, and hoo boy, it was. I know it's Mexico and the water's supposed to be warm and everything, but when you get out this far into the ocean, it's really cold. One couple didn't go in the water, even though the whole point of driving here was to snorkel and see all the tropical fish and the coral. So I jumped into the water gritting my teeth. It took me about 5~10 minutes to get used to breathing through the snorkel. First off, you can't breath through your nose, because the plastic sort of sucks right up against your nostrils, therefore you can't breathe. And when I can't breathe, I panic and flail my arms. Several times I had to take off my snorkel/goggles/whatever you call the headpiece and take a few deep breaths. I finally got used to breathing only through your mouth, but even that was hard, because if you didn't hold the mouthpiece in your mouth correctly, you would swallow a bunch of water instead of air. That's pretty much what happened to my mom-She hated snorkeling. The rest of us though, (me, my dad, and my brother) had lots of fun snorkeling and pointing at fish and trying to catch them. They were all so colourful... they look a lot more fashionable than the fish we have here in Vancouver.


Here are a few photos of the fish. It was really beautiful... But I really didn't like the fact that they only gave us 15 minutes to snorkel!! All the other people didn't seem too bothered by it because they didn't like it or something, but I really wanted to stay longer... It was SO much fun!
Anyways, after we spent that considerable amount of time driving and that short amount of time snorkeling, it was time to drive back. And of course, the drive back felt like someone was driving needles into my eyes.
But all in all, this was a new experience for me, and I enjoyed it very much. OH OH I ALMOST FORGOT! We saw a ray!!
Anyways, after we got back to the hotel, we ate dinner at one of the restaurants. I was lethargic and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I managed, just managed, to stay awake during the appetizers. But when the main course came, I was falling asleep in the middle of my meal. My mom saw this and took me upstairs to our room, where I immediately fell asleep.
So that's the end of day 4!
I might be back with a new topic later on...
But until then, BYE BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment