Friday, June 22, 2012

Book Review #26 ~ Behind the Secret Window

Oh my, this book was amazing.
When I read the back cover of the book, I wasn't too interested, since it sounded too similar to "The Diary of Anne Frank." However, I decided to give it a chance since books about the Holocaust are very exciting and suspenseful to read, and boy am I glad that I did.
So without further ado, here is...

Behind the Secret Window ~ Nelly S. Toll
When the Nazis arrive in Poland, Nelly's happy life is overturned and transforms into one filled with fear and despair. 6-year-old Nelly must suddenly learn how to deal with these terrifying problems like an adult and try to cope with her situation the best she can; and remarkably, she does.
No matter how incredibly difficult and heartbreaking situations get, she listens to her parents and tries to understand.
When things worsen and tensions rise sky high, Nelly's father sends her and her mother to a Gentile couple who is willing to hide them in their home, and so an entire year passes as they lie hidden in the small bedroom, living in constant fear of discovery.
The only thing that gets Nelly through these terrible times are the watercolor paintings that she paints to pass the time as they spend their days in silence. She paints a fantasy world filled with happiness and laughter, and family and friends, and tries to imagine away the horror and loss.

I found this book to be very powerful. Every moment the story had me on my toes, anticipating what would happen next; I experienced so many different feelings while reading this book. There was horror, there was hate. There was happiness, there was sympathy. I simply loved every minute of it. I would definitely recommend this book to everybody, and I give it 5/5 stars.
Hope that you'll love it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment