Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kira-Kira ~ Book Review #7

Hello, I hope you're enjoying my blog so far!
Anyway, I have come to give you another great book review about another great book. (on a sidenote; I only review the books that really deserve a review.)
So this book is called Kira-Kira, as mentioned in the title.
So this  book has a really good but sad story. But everyone needs a little bit of sad in their life, don't they?
So the main character of this story is Katie Takeshinma (yes, she is Japanese.). 
Katie Takeshima's sister, Lynn, describes everything as kira-kira (glittering.) The sky, the sea, and people's eyes are all kira-kira. But struggling to make ends meet after their small oriental foods store closes, they move from a small Japanese community in Iowa to the Deep South of Georgia. They move because their uncle offered their parents a job at a factory. Their parents work from 4 A.M to 11 P.M. So they never get to spend time with their children. But the parents are not the only ones struggling. Being the only two Japanese girls in the whole school, it is hard for them to adjust and for others around them to adjust. They are excluded from almost everything. But despite all this hardship, Lynn, with her special way of viewing the world, continues to teach Katie to see everything as kira-kira, and to look beyond tomorrow. But when Lynn becomes desperately ill, the whole family starts to fall apart and it is up to Katie to remind them that there is something glittering -- kira-kira -- in the future.

So that is my summary of the book. Do you want a spoiler? Well too bad, you don't get one. ^^
I thought it was a very good book. It is really touching. I cried a few times in the book. Honest. I recommend this to people that like realistic fiction, not really fantasy. Well, actually, I really like fantasy and I thought this book was really good so...
I'll just recommend it to EVERYONE. Yes. It's that good.
So be sure to put it on your "Books to read" list!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment