Saturday, July 14, 2012

Book Review #27 ~ The Light in the Forest

So this book is a classic, and I could definitely see why. The book was quite dated and you could tell, but nevertheless, I found it wonderful. The book was just so detailed and I could practically imagine every single scene in the entire book. So without further ado, here is:
The Light in The Forest ~ Conrad Richter
When John Butler was four years old, he was captured by the Lenni Lenape Indians. They took him in and Cuyloga adopted him, renamed him "True Son," and treated him as though he were his own son by blood. True son grew up with the Indians, eating their food, living their ways of life, worshipping their gods, and learning to think and fight like them. True Son had no memory of his childhood with his real parents, so as far as he was concerned, he was born an Indian and would remain an Indian for the rest of his life. But his peaceful, content lifestyle is overturned when the whites make a treaty with the Indians. The treaty required the Indians to return all their white captives to their original families. Many people in many different villages gave up people that they were close enough with to be their true family members. To the white soldiers' surprise, the captives were reluctant to return because they had spent so much time with the Indians and had become one of them.
True Son was especially reluctant, for he had been raised to hate the whites, but he musters up his inner Indian and tries to stick through this painful time in his life.

I found the book so incredibly powerful and moving. So I've been reading lots of happily ever after books nowadays, and when I read this one, I was brough to tears. I loved every bit of the book. I could feel the heartaches and the triumphs, I could smell the pine and feel the grass... The book was amazingly descriptive; it is a must read.

1 comment: