Saturday, October 16, 2010

Book Review #5 ~ Rules

Hi, I'm back with a book review!!
This book is called "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. This is a touching story about a 12-year-old girl named Catherine who loves art and longs for a friend. She is the sister and often-babysitter for her autistic brother, David, and has a hard time fitting in with her classmates because of David's behaviour. She works hard to help David be more "normal," specifically giving him rules to live by that most people take for granted. Her best friend is away for the summer, visiting her father, so Catherine is excited when she learns that the family moving next door includes a girl her age. She spends most of her summer days helping her mother with David, visiting the clinic where David recieves occupational therapy, and hoping that Christy, her new neighbour, will not be scared off by David's differences. At the clinic, Catherine befriends a wheelchair-bound paraplegic boy named Jason who is also a mute and "talks" through a communication book he keeps with him at all times. The story comes to a sort of predictable climax when Catherine must choose whether or not to invite Jason to a community dance when challenged to do so by Christy, who doesn't know about Jason's disability. This book really helped me feel for children with autism, and I hope you will find some sympathy for them too.
I rate this book a 6 out of 5 stars. It was a fantastic book. I left out some of the parts, because just in case you read this book, I wouldn't want to spoil the whole thing for you. It is really worth reading. Really.
Well, I hope you enjoyed my book review (and I hope you didn't fall asleep during parts of it), and I'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment