Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Movie Review #7 ~ Argo

So as I mentioned earlier, I am always very late to catch up on things that people have seen or read a long while ago. Which explains why I only just saw the movie Argo. 
This movie opens in Iran at the United States embassy; it is being seized by violent Iranian protesters during the height of the Iranian Revolution. Meanwhile in America, the CIA is busy trying to get the Americans hiding in the Canadian ambassador's home back home to the good ol' USA. This is when Agent Tony Mendez comes in to save the day. They come up with a brilliant plan to sneak into Iran safely and sneak out with their lives. Within a matter of days, they come up with and publicize a fake movie, ARGO, that they will pretend to film in Iran in order to get the Americans out. As Agent Mendez risks his life and goes to Iran, they go through a series of turbulent events that make your heart race and your toes curl up. 
I thought that the movie was excellent. It was very good at making the audience hold their breaths as the characters overcame obstacle over obstacle. The actors were very well selected and the characters were portrayed quite well. The graphic scenes of the horrendous things going on in Iran at the time were very authentic and helped me to visualize just how terrifying it must have been for everybody. I do have a bone to pick with the plot of the movie itself, however. I do agree that coming up with the whole 'fake movie' idea was brilliant and pure genius, but honestly, the whole movie is simply them creating a fake movie, going to Iran, and getting the people out. Literally, that is all that happens in the movie. I understand completely that it was the whole intention of the movie, however I wished for a little more denouement. What happened to the movie, for example. But other than this, I thought it was definitely a movie worth watching; it was also quite informative and taught me quite a bit about what happened during the Iranian Revolution. 
P.S. I love you Ben Affleck (:

No comments:

Post a Comment