Thursday, May 26, 2011

Book Review #9 ~ The Mysterious Benedict Society

Fellow readers (if I have any left, that is...) I am so sorry that I haven't posted in... A MONTH?! Wow. I have to admit that is pretty harsh. -sigh- I was busy with homework... and other stuff... Okay. I didn't have that much homework, but I still had work. I just had to make an excuse. Alright. I will find something to write about. Books? Maybe. Okay, books. I've read a lot more than ten books this year, just so you know. In fact, I'm working my way through my 30th book! (THIS YEAR)
Now I see those with the sad sad lives that have read 2 books. In five months. And there are over 1000 books just sitting around in the library waiting to be read. I find it a waste. Of what, I'm not so sure. A waste of knowing how to read, of books, I don't know. It's just a waste.
So I got sidetracked again and began a rant on people who don't read enough, and I will go right back to my book review.
THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY - TRENTON LEE STEWART

I have to say, this is a GREAT book. It's fantastic. Superb. Sublime. You get the point. I rate it 6/5 stars. No, I didn't get mixed up, I gave it a bonus star because it was so insanely awesome.
So the story is about these 4 genius kids that take a test (they don't know what the test is for, I guess they just got bored and decided to take it) when this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper:
"ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?"
Not just four of them showed up though, it was a bunch of other kids, but they failed the test. The test isn't like the tests that we take at school. It's crazy questions, weird questions. The test itself is a riddle. Anyways, these four kids pass this strange test and they get to meet Mr. Benedict, an old and mysterious man whose nose looks like a vegetable. He is on some kind of secret mission to stop an evil man who is leading an institute for children that are gifted. He is using the children for EVIL things that I can't tell you about because, well, it's secret, and it's really no fun if you already know what's going to happen. This is sure to keep you on your toes, for there is an extreme level of suspense. More than this much. -stretches arms wide to indicate size-
I was thrilled while reading this book, my eyes sometimes skipping all the way over to the next paragraph because I want to find out what happens next. I liked the fact that  I felt a surge of many different emotions throughout the book. I would recommend this to my peers who love adventure, mystery, and mischief. You know what? You don't even have to like any of those things. Just read the book.
Well, thanks for tuning in! I hope you didn't find this post too boring and will come back for more!

2 comments:

  1. The children have always been different, even ignoring the fact that they are orphans and runaways. And it was their unique nature and position that made them the perfect candidates for the job. And shortly after meeting each other, Reynie and his three new companions must go into the enemy's territory in an attempt to not only uncover a dangerous plot, but to put an end to it.
    This book is a lot of fun. It is part mystery, part adventure [like most of my really fun books[, but it is also sort of a journey of self-discovery [beyond mere character development]. Your four main characters are Reynie [good with puzzles], Sticky [good with remembering], Kate [ready for anything--no really, she's like a Swiss army knife], and Constance [pigheaded does not even begin to cover how stubborn this girl is]. All are, pretty much, alone in the world for any number of reasons. Whether it is because of this or simply because they are children, a great deal of the adventure is coming into their own as individuals, discovering not only their self-worth but also their worth and weight as members of a team and family. And Stewart did this quite well--allowing for each skill to come into play without it feeling contrived, convenient or just awkward. These aren't just one-and-done deals like some sort of epiphany that brings completion. It is a decently long and involved process with a fair amount of, quite realistic, repetition.

    ReplyDelete